Great content creators demand attention. They grow audiences and influence thousands.
They become high-priced mentors, run popular membership programs, build successful businesses, and get the pick of top marketing jobs for some of the best companies.
They are the Seth Godins of the world. The Darren Rowses. The Ann Handleys, Sonia Simones, and Brian Clarks.
See, content makes the Internet work — and when a content creator makes great content, it’s just a matter of time before their name becomes synonymous with their field of expertise.
Fortunately, achieving that status isn’t out of your reach.
This is why we rolled out our content marketing training program Authority, and our upcoming live event Authority Intensive. Our goal with these training resources is to help you become an online publisher people cannot ignore.
And you now have a new and unique way of getting involved …
If you decide to enter our 2013 essay contest, that is.
Write a 250-word essay on “Why It’s Essential to Be an Online Authority” and submit it (see below) no later than 5:00 P.M. PST, Wednesday, December 4, 2013.
Here are the criteria:
- Unique style, voice, hook. You don’t have to use the headline we offered — you can (and should) come up with your own version of unique, useful, and ultra-specific. Don’t forget to do your research.
- Proper grammar and correct spelling. You must edit and proofread your essay before you submit. Mistakes could very well will land your essay in the trash bin.
- Sound argument. Use of sources, solid lines of reasoning. We will ask “Is it logical? Does it make sense?”
- No rock stars. I understand this one is a bit more subjective, but the point is to discourage hot shots who get it and have got it, and instead encourage the folks who aren’t quite as well known. (Yet.) So if people consider you somewhere on the rock star spectrum, please take a rain check this time around.
Now, let’s take a look at the prizes, shall we?
- Grand prize: The grand prize winner will win a ticket to Authority Intensive (in Denver, CO on May 7-9, 2014) AND lifetime* access to Authority (approximate value $3,931).
- First place prize: One person will get lifetime* access to Authority (retail value $2,436).
- Second place prizes: Three people will receive a one-year membership to Authority (retail value $348).
We will publish all winning essays on Copyblogger as guest posts. So there’s that, too.
On Friday, December 13, 2013, we’ll announce all winners, as well as the dates that we’ll be publishing the winning posts on Copyblogger (one per week for five weeks).
All winners will receive email notification at least one day prior to the public announcement. That announcement will include the name, website, and brief bio of each of the winners. Winners will also receive a handsome badge crafted by our legendary Lead Designer Rafal Tomal to proudly display on their sites.
*Lifetime access means as long as Authority exists. We have absolutely no plans to stop any time soon, given that there are over 5,000 Authority members who wouldn’t like that very much
How to submit your essay:
- Create or upload a document in Google Drive.
- Include your first and last name, email address, and a phone number on the document in the top left-hand corner (we will use this information ONLY for the purposes of this essay contest — no spam, ever).
- Share the document with us using the Google Drive share function to essays [at] copyblogger [dot] com.
- Hit done.
- This one is optional, but encouraged: add the “I entered Copyblogger’s Essay Contest” badge to your site. To do so, copy and paste this code into your blog post or web page:
(And if you don’t have a Google account, now is the perfect time to create one and also start using Google+ to build your online authority.)
We will close submissions promptly at 5:00 pm PST on December 4, 2013.
Tell us why becoming an online authority is so important … and you just might win some intense prizes that will help you become one.
Let your audience know
If you plan on participating (or even if you don’t), why not let your audience members in on the great opportunity too?
Encourage them to compete for the five great prizes and a byline at Copyblogger by sharing this poster on your site and on your social networks.
To share on your site, simply copy and paste the code below:
Good luck, and get those submissions in soon. A lifetime of authority is at stake … in more ways than one.